Bortko's movie (badly) subtitled
May 17, 2007
Vladimir Bortko's impressive TV-series Мастер и Маргарита from 2005 is available on dvd since more than one year, but it existed only in Russian and without subtitles. Now the movie is also available with English subtitles, though the quality of the subtitles is really piteous.
Disk 2 is more or less acceptable, but the other two disks are dreadful. Complete blocks of conversation - sometimes 3 minutes or more - are left untranslated, pieces of text flash for only a couple of seconds on the screen, not to mention the numerous misspellings. It can hardly be recommend- maybe we should send Behemoth to the translator - but if you want to accept the challenge in spite of this warning: this set of 3 dvd’s can be ordered for 57,48 USD at Amazon.
Note: much has happened since this article was published in May 2007. Your webmaster made new subtitles for this TV-series in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian and Dutch.
- 161009 Andrzej Wajda died
- 161009 M&M and Facebook
- 160929 Music theatre in Amsterdam
- 160831 Online readings
- 160824 New subtitels
- 160821 Illustrations Hans Fronius
- 160809 New Spanish translation
- 160728 Patriarch's Ponds
- 160723 Zéro absolu
- 160721 Illustrations Aleksandr Botvinov
- 160719 Henning Boye Leonhardsen
- 160607 Freemasonry
- 160521 Installations Nelli Levental
- 160515 Photos by Stana Krivokhizhina
- 160514 Mikhail Bulgakov 125 years