Film Yuri Kara in samizdat
May 20, 2007
The movie picture Мастер и Маргаритаof Yuri Kara from 1994 goes through hell since a long time. It’s as if it wants to follow faithfully the example of Bulgakov’s novel because 13 years after the director’s cut it is still not released. Which doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist. It circulates in a rather good quality on a double dvd among Bulgakov lovers, illegaly of cours. After quite some tactful negotiations and some difficult phone calls my friend Koroviev sneakily offered me a copy in the chocolate house Шоколадница (Shokoladnitsa) on the Arbat.
If your eyes are good enough to watch a small screen for 200 minutes, you can watch the entire movie in poor quality on some Russian websites like RuTube.
Note: much has happened since this article was published in May 2007. Yuri Kara's film was officially released in March 2011 and your webmaster made subtitles for it in English, French, German and Dutch.
- 161009 Andrzej Wajda died
- 161009 M&M and Facebook
- 160929 Music theatre in Amsterdam
- 160831 Online readings
- 160824 New subtitels
- 160821 Illustrations Hans Fronius
- 160809 New Spanish translation
- 160728 Patriarch's Ponds
- 160723 Zéro absolu
- 160721 Illustrations Aleksandr Botvinov
- 160719 Henning Boye Leonhardsen
- 160607 Freemasonry
- 160521 Installations Nelli Levental
- 160515 Photos by Stana Krivokhizhina
- 160514 Mikhail Bulgakov 125 years